Sunday, October 23, 2011

Softy Baby Bracelets

Super soft pastel baby yarn and two sizes of cabone rings (little plastic, or other things, rings that you crochet around) come together to create this adorable bracelet for a baby girl.


Purple, blue, yellow, pink and white medium weight baby yarn is crocheted around two cabone rings, one smaller than the other, which slips into the larger one. Completely metal free, this makes a great baby fidget bracelet. I have done a few of them now, this was the first. I tried it in my nephew, and he absolutely loved it. He cried when I took it off of him, so I had to make him one. I used emerald green Caron Simply Soft (not the actual name of the colorway, sorry), and now he never takes it off. Unfortunately, Simply Soft isn't made to stand up to noodles, mud, Nerf sword-play, trips the park, etc., etc., in a day of the life of a 4-year old. This just means I try to salvage the rings and make him  a whole bunch of "power couplets" (he will be an engineer, I just know it. That's what he calls them.)

And here's one I made with my Serenity Garden yarn. I think it's name is Heathers or something. It's like a pastel rainbow with white and no blue.



 I couldn't get it to lay flat. Isn't it pretty though? They come out so cute, and they only take about 10-15 minutes, and tiny amounts of yarn. I don't have much scrap yarn yet, because I'm still fairly new to crocheting and buying yarn, but these are great scrap-busters. Annnnnnnnd, yes, I will post the pattern!

Choose your yarn, hook, and cabones. They can really be any size, so long as the smaller one fits through the larger one after being crochet around (which roughly doubles with a fine yarn, and triples with a thicker yarn).
Tie a slip knot, insert your hook.
Insert your hook through the hole of either cabone ring. I usually start with the larger.
Single stitch around the ring, as if it were a magic circle. (If you don't know how to do a magic circle, look up The Art of Crochet by Theresa on Youtube.)
Stitch halfway around the ring. If you want it to be exactly half, crochet all the way around, counting stitches, then undo half.
Chain roughly 23. This will depend on how long you want the bracelet and the thickness of your yarn. Experiment!
Insert hook through the other ring.
Single stitch aaaaaalllll the way around till you get to the chain again.
Single stitch into the last chain (the one closest to your hook), and across the chain to the other ring.
Insert hook into the first ring, and crochet the other half (remember how many you did for the first half?).
Slip stitch into the first stitch (it may be helpful to transfer your loop onto a smaller hook to make the slip stitch easier.) Finish off and your done! Do a ton of them to make a play chain for your kid/s, or for a mother or mother-to-be you know. With such a huge variety of yarns and rings, you could even do a dainty, beaded one with a fancy clasp.
My overall favorite thing about these, though, has to be that they are metal-free. I have somewhat metal-sensitive skin, and I have a friend that cannot have metal touch her skin at all, so these make great alternatives to traditional metal jewelry and clasps. I have more crocheted jewelry to post, too! I'm so excited XD.
Blessed Be and Happy Hooking!









No comments:

Post a Comment