Thursday, November 24, 2011

Arm-warmers for all!

So these lovely little wrist warmers (they're too short to appropriately call them arm-warmers) were made for while I'm at work freezing my palms off in my drive-through (yes, MY drive-through). While they were originally for me, I gave them to my manager who has very poor circulation due to heart problems. I had been planning on making some for him anyway, so it worked out. I told him he doesn't get a Christmas present though!
A close-up of the pretty ( but not too girly haha) V-stitch pattern. Works up real quickly and takes no time at all.

They really work well. They're just the right length to tuck under or over sleeves and my palms stay toasty on freezing cold Tuesdays when they power-wash they parking lot twenty feet from my window. -_-
I also made a pretty burgundy pair that I actually sewed wrong, but they came out fine.
See how nicely they fit over my sleeves? Very comfy, and they add a nice pop of color to my mostly-black winter wardrobe. I also have a longer set that's dark teal. I loooove them.

So, as a disclaimer, I have no idea who wrote this pattern. I got it from a friend who found it somewhere, probably on the interwebs. If this is your pattern and you want it taken down, please comment and let me know, I certainly don't want to steal anyone's hard work.

V-stitch Armwarmers
H hook
worsted weight yarn in pretty colors

Ch 35
DS in 6th chain from hook, Ch 1, DC in same space
Skip 2, *DC, ch1, DC* in the 3rd chain. ( ** is V-stitch, hereafter VS)
Repeat for 9 more VS. You should have 2 or 3 chains left after you're tenth VS.
DS in the last chain.
CH 3, turn, VS in CH1 space of VS on last row.
VS in CH1 space across for the remaining 9 stitches.
CH 3, turn, VS in CH1 space 6 times.
Ch5, SS in 5th stitch. ( you're counting both the double stitches and the chains here) You should have about 7 more stitches until you get to the CH3 from turning. SS in each of them.
CH3, turn, VS in 3rd stitch. (well, my friend said the 3rd, but really, if the 2nd or 4th is right above the VS below, do it there. You want them to line up)
Now you're supposed to VS in each 3rd, including in the ch, but again, make them line up. You should have 2 VS before the CH5, and one in the chain, and then pick up in the CH1 space after, then VS across as before.
How many rows you do now depends on how long you want them. The black ones shown above are 9 rows. I don't remember how many the red ones are, but they came out perfectly square, and I sewed them wrong heehee. My teal ones were 14 I think.

When you have them as long as you want, sew the edges together. I'm not sure how to explain it, but just make sure you sew the long edges so that the thumb hole is horizontal.
I also did an extra row before the thumb hole on the black pair for a slightly longer-over-the-fingers pair.
Have fun with your arm/wrist warmers!



EDIT 1/21/2012  For the thumbhole, I figured out an easier way to do it that also keeps you at the same number of rows  on each side. Instead of  CH5 and ss across, Ch5 and just skip one v-stitch, V-st into the next one and finish the row normally (in v-st). next row, when you get to the ch5, just do one vst in the 3rd ch, continue as normal.

EDIT 1/27/2012 Here are some pictures of those turquoise arm-warmers!



Blessed Be and Happy Hooking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment